The stomach balloon is a non-surgical weight loss treatment that involves inserting a deflated balloon into the stomach through the mouth using an endoscope, which is a thin, flexible tube with a camera and light at the end. Once the balloon is in place, it is filled with saline to take up space in the stomach, which helps reduce the amount of food a person can eat at one time, and creates a feeling of fullness. The balloon is usually left in place for about six months and then removed in a similar procedure. The gastric balloon is for people who have a body mass index (BMI) between 30 and 40 and who have not been able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone.
Advantages of the gastric balloon surgery
- Non-surgical: The gastric balloon is a non-surgical weight loss treatment, that is, it does not require incisions or general anesthesia. This may make it a more attractive option for individuals who do not want to undergo surgery.
- Temporary: The gastric balloon is designed to be a temporary weight loss solution, meaning it does not involve a long-term commitment. This can be attractive to individuals who are unsure about going through the weight loss process permanently.
- Decreased appetite: The gastric balloon takes up space in the stomach, helping to reduce the feeling of hunger and promoting a feeling of fullness. This can make it easier for individuals to stick to a healthy eating and weight loss plan.
- Quick Recovery: Because the gastric balloon is inserted and removed orally, the recovery time is generally short. Most people are able to return to their normal activities within a few days.
- Improved health: Losing weight can improve overall health and reduce the risk of weight-related health conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.
Frequently asked questions about the gastric balloon
Reasons why you choose the gastric balloon over other slimming procedures?
The gastric balloon may be a good option for individuals whose BMI is between 30 and 40 and have not been able to lose weight through diet and exercise alone.
How long does the stomach balloon process take?
The gastric balloon procedure usually takes about 20-30 minutes to complete.
How much weight can I expect to lose with a gastric balloon?
On average, people who have a gastric balloon procedure can expect to lose about 10-15% of their total body weight over the six months that the balloon is in place. For example, a person who weighs 200 pounds (91 kg) can expect to lose between 20-30 pounds (9-14 kg) over that period. However, it is important to note that individual results can vary and not everyone will experience the same amount of weight loss.